Terms & Conditions
Unless the context specifies otherwise:
- 'Member' is defined as the Gulf Air Falconflyer Programme member whose name appears on the Membership Card. 'Account Number' and 'Membership Number' is the number printed on the Card.
- 'Family Members' are defined as those immediate family members enrolled into the programme by the Member to earn Miles on their behalf and to receive free flights and other reward benefits as the pre-designated Family Member.
- 'Gulf Air Falconflyer' is the name of the Gulf Air Falconflyer Programme designed to award Gulf Air’s most valued customers with a variety of traveller benefits and with 'Miles' which can be exchanged in specified ways.
- 'Miles' are the currency of award accounting for flying Gulf Air on eligible fares. 'Loyalty Points' are the currency of loyalty accounting for flying Gulf Air on any fare and count towards eligible levels of membership. The level of the Member determines traveller 'Privileges'. 'Privileges' are benefits available to the Member usually when travelling.
- 'Award' is the 'Miles' and/or 'Loyalty Points' receivable for flying Gulf Air. 'Redemption' is the process for trading in 'Miles' for 'Rewards', such as free tickets, upgrades etc.
- Subject to what follows, these 'Terms & Conditions' regulate the relationship between Gulf Air and Members of the Falconflyer programme.
- The Falconflyer programme has been developed to reward the loyalty of individuals choosing to fly frequently with Gulf Air. Participation in the Programme is subject to these Terms & Conditions which are accepted by the Member upon submission of the application form and on signature of the Membership Card.
After receiving these Terms & Conditions a Member may elect to withdraw from the Programme by advising the Gulf Air Falconflyer programme in writing within 30 days.
Gulf Air reserves the right to amend or terminate these Terms & Conditions and any Awards, Privileges, partner relationships and process of operation of the Programme, with or without prior cause or notice to Members or applicants. Gulf Air will endeavour to give Members reasonable notice of termination of the Programme but cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage resulting from termination or any amendment to the Programme.
All Privileges and Awards are offered subject to the Conditions of Carriage of Gulf Air and are subject to availability and change. Some local variations and restrictions may apply. Some of the Awards, Privileges and Rewards are, or may be, provided by organisations with which Gulf Air has made arrangements but over which it has no control. Gulf Air endeavours to ensure that the proposed Awards and Privileges are made available to Members but it cannot be liable for any consequential loss or damage arising from the provision or non-provision, whether in whole or in part, of any such arrangements nor for the withdrawal from the Programme of any such organisation.
Any service provided by Gulf Air or any organisation to Falconflyer members will be subject to the standing Terms & Conditions applying to provision of that service and any applicable treaty such as the Warsaw Convention or any other law instruments which may in certain cases govern the Member's contract of carriage by air.
Save for evident gross negligence and willful misconduct of Gulf Air, and without prejudice to these Terms & Conditions, Gulf Air does not accept any liability whatsoever in respect of any loss, injury, delay or damage arising out of or in connection with the Programme.
These Terms & Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with Bahrain law. However, Gulf Air will not be liable when complying with local laws which may affect the availability of arrangements and indeed membership of the Programme.
Any taxes, duties etc arising from the Member's participation in the Programme shall in all cases be borne by the Member or the traveller.
- Only individual persons aged 2 or over can be enrolled as a Member. Persons aged between 2 and 18 must be enrolled by a Parent or Guardian. Corporations, organisations and other entities are ineligible. Airline, travel agency, other travel industry associated staff and professional couriers are also ineligible to join.
- Membership is open to individuals resident in any country, subject to local laws and restrictions, who submit a valid, completed application form and send it to Gulf Air. Gulf Air may refuse membership or amend its enrolment criteria at its discretion.
- An individual is not allowed to hold more than one Account or make multiple applications to the Programme. Breaches of this condition may lead to loss of Awards and any action by Gulf Air at its discretion.
- An application for Membership will denote acceptance and explicit authorisation of Gulf Air to process and store the information given and to use such stored information for it and its business partners' marketing or communication purposes.
- In case of misuse or misrepresentation by the Member of his position as a Member or failure to comply with these Terms & Conditions, Gulf Air reserves the right to cancel his Membership forthwith, with loss of all accrued Awards and Privileges and if necessary take legal proceedings against him. Gulf Air also reserves the right to cancel any Membership at its sole discretion.
- Membership and Account credit is not transferable or assignable to other individuals, trusts or estates. In the event of the death of the Member, the Membership and all accrued Account credit will be cancelled.
- Members may terminate their Membership by writing to Gulf Air Falconflyer programme at any time.
- Members may change their mailing address by written notice at any time.
- Membership at the entry level of the programme (Blue) is valid for a period of three years. If, however, there is no activity shown in this three year period, the Membership Account will automatically be deactivated. Membership for Gold and Silver levels is for a period of one year, renewable according to the criteria of minimum annual activity requirements laid down by Gulf Air at its discretion.
- Once a Member is enrolled in the programme, they are able to nominate up to eight Family Members to earn miles on their behalf. Family members may be the spouse, children, brothers, sisters and so on, as defined by immediate family.
- Family Members will receive their own Membership Card and Membership Number but will only earn 70% of the regular mileage, which will go into the Members account. Family Members do not earn miles for partner activities and are not entitled to any service benefits and privileges.
4. Membership card
- The Card is only valid when signed by the Member and may be used up to the last day of the month of expiry which is indicated on the Card. The Card is not a credit or charge card.
- The Card remains at all times the property of Gulf Air and should be returned on demand of Gulf Air.
- Only the Member may use the Card to obtain Programme Privileges and Awards. It is not transferable or assignable to any other person.
- If the Card becomes lost, stolen or damaged, the Member should inform the local Gulf Air office or the Programme Manager in Bahrain. The Card will be replaced as soon as possible. This will normally take at least four weeks. In the meantime, the Member can still receive Award credits to his account by retaining all boarding passes and tickets and submitting them for retroactive credit but will not be able to receive the appropriate traveller Privileges.
5. Membership Grade and Loyalty Points
- The levels of membership - Blue, Silver and Gold - determine increasing degrees of travelling Privileges and other benefits. The current Privileges are described in the Member's handbook. These will be added to and/or amended over time. Normal entry to the Programme is at the Blue level. Promotion of Members from Blue to Silver and from Silver to Gold is on the achievement of specified thresholds of Loyalty Points.
- Loyalty Points will be awarded only for the Member's travel on Gulf Air flights, ticketed with the relevant carrier's flight number. Every flight, at any fare (with the exception of travel industry discounted fares), is credited with Loyalty Points. Travel in Business or First Class earns a successively higher credit. The Gulf Air network has been divided into zones for the award of Loyalty Points and the number of Points awarded by class of travel and by zone is detailed in the handbook.
- The number of Loyalty Points required for promotion to Silver and Gold membership are given in the handbook and apply to any 12 month continuous period of Member flight activity beginning from the issue of the first Membership Card.
- Loyalty Points have a validity of 12 months from the first flight date, after which they expire and can no longer be counted in the cumulative total.
6. Membership Grade Promotion and Demotion
- As soon as a Member's Account shows a cumulative Loyalty Point total equal to or over the number required for Silver or Gold membership (earned during the previous 12 months or less), the Member will immediately be promoted to the relevant level and a new Card will be issued, valid for 12 months from the date of issue.
- Prior to the expiry date for all Cards, the cumulative Loyalty Points earned will be compared with the level required to maintain membership at the same level. If sufficient Loyalty Points have been earned over the previous 12 months, the Member's Card will be renewed at the same level, and will be valid for 12 months from the date of renewal.
- If the required level of Loyalty Points has not been maintained, the Member's Card will be renewed at the relevant (lower) level. If no Loyalty Points have been earned over the previous 12 months, Gulf Air reserves the right not to renew the Member's Card.
7. Mileage Awards
- Mileage awards can be earned on Gulf Air flights at eligible fare levels only. Published First Class, Business Class, full Economy and Economy Excursion fares qualify for Mileage awards. Certain "promotional" or "discounted" fares earn a reduced Award, whilst most other (discounted) fares, including bulk or other unpublished fares or travel industry discounted fares, are not eligible for Mileage awards at all.
- The specific class codes which are eligible for Mileage awards and the number of miles awarded by flight, by tier and by class code are detailed in the handbook.
8. Crediting Loyalty Points and Miles
- The crediting of due Loyalty Points and Miles to a Member's Account relies upon an automated activity tracking system. Recognition of a Member's qualifying activity is driven by the data capture of the Membership number in association with that activity. Failure by the Member to declare his Membership of the Programme and his Membership number at the prescribed stages in booking and undertaking any activity will result in no automatic award of Loyalty Points and/or Miles. It is then the Member's responsibility to make a retroactive claim for credit (see Section 9) which, if eligible, would then be credited to his Account.
- The Member should ensure that he or whoever is making an eligible booking on his behalf is aware of the Membership number and Member name as it appears on the Card and makes it known to Gulf Air at the time of booking. Traveller privileges cannot be provided if the Member has not advised his Membership number and level.
- The Member should also produce his Membership Card at check in to confirm data capture of his activity, even if his Membership number was already given at reservation stage.
9. Retroactive Claims for Credits
- If the record of a Gulf Air qualifying flight does not appear on the next statement after the flight date, or, in the view of the Member, it appears incorrectly, then the Member should complete the retroactive claim form which is available on the reverse of the statement or on the member’s area of the website, enclose the original boarding pass(es) and a legible copy of the passenger coupon from his ticket and send it to Programme offices in Bahrain. If the recording error involves a partner activity, the Member should follow the instructions given for that partner on the reverse of the statement, including the provision of appropriate invoiced activity record documents. File copies should be retained for the Member's own reference.
- All claims for retroactive credit must be made within six months of the flight or partner activity in question. No claims for retroactive credit more than six months after the activity will be accepted.
- Retroactive claims for flights made prior to the date on which the individual applied for Membership will not be eligible. The application date will be taken as the date of signature on the application form, provided it is no earlier than three months prior to the date on which the application was received at the Gulf Air Falconflyer programme offices.
- Retroactive claims will not be accepted without the detailed evidence required in 9.1.
- Members are strongly requested to undertake their own correct recording and recognition of activity by retaining all boarding passes, passenger coupons from tickets and partner transaction documents in order to settle any account discrepancies and retroactive claims.
10. Account Statement
- Statements of Member Account will normally be sent out quarterly, provided there are activities to be reported. Copies of the Statement are always available on the website for the Member to review. Inactive Members' Statements will be suppressed until activity recommences.
11. Mileage Redemption
- A Member Account will be credited with the relevant number of Miles due for each and every member qualifying activity. The mechanism used to 'pay' for any redemption activity is Miles. No redemption activity can take place until the Member has sufficient Miles in their account.
- Miles may not be combined with those belonging to another Member. However, a Member may exchange his own Miles for free flights or other benefits in respect of his eight pre-designated family members. A Member may create or make amendments to the list of his pre-designated family members. A member may make a change to four Family Members on this list a maximum of once in any 12 month period.
- Miles earned before 31 December 2009 will be valid for 10 years, miles earned from 1 January 2010 will be valid for 3 years.
12. Redemption Process General
- The redemption process uses Miles in exchange for valuable free benefits. Gulf Air cannot be liable for any goods or services provided to the Member in exchange for Miles.
- All Statements will be sent only to the Member's mailing or email address. Gulf Air will not normally advance the despatch of a Statement to a Member outside the standing interval for Statement mailings. And Gulf Air cannot be held responsible for any delays or losses caused by postal services, internet failure, customers or any other authorities.
- All redemption rewards are subject to availability. The Member should bear this in mind when making plans to obtain a redemption reward. Free flights should be planned, booked and "paid" for with Miles as long in advance of the flight as possible (maximum 11 months) to maximise the chance of securing the Member's first choice.
- The Member must follow the procedures laid down for the redemption process. Any attempt willfully to circumvent the procedures or restrictions on access to redemption reward opportunities may lead to Gulf Air cancelling the Membership and all unused Miles which the Member has accumulated.
- There are three principal redemption rewards
- Free flights on Gulf Air
- Free upgrades on Gulf Air
- Benefits offered by Gulf Air Programme partners
Additional Programme partners and benefits will become regularly available and will be described in supplementary terms and conditions at time of introduction.
The redemption procedures for exchanging Miles for free flights and upgrades on Gulf Air are laid down elsewhere in the handbook.